Happy National Accident Day! That is, if you happen to be living in Finland. In this Nordic country, today is a day to raise awareness for all manner of accidents. But here in the U.S., it’s just another unlucky Friday the 13th. Although studies have not shown much to support today as being unlucky, the past speaks for itself.
Friday the 13th Accidents
Here are some of the worst freak accidents from Friday’s past.
- October 13, 1972: A plane carrying a rugby team crashes into the Andes. The survivors resort to cannibalism to survive. Eerily in Russia another plane crashed killing all of the people on board.
- October 13, 2006: A half million people in Buffalo, New York were left without power during a blizzard that dropped 24 inches of snow in one Fall day.
- August 13, 2010: A 13-year-old boy was struck by lightning in England at the time of 13:13.
- January 13, 2012: The Costa Concordia cruise shipwrecked off the coast of Italy due to the careless maneuvering of its Captain. 32 people were killed in this accident and many more were injured.
Friday the 13th has become a cultural phenomenon because of the superstitions these accidents fuel, not to mention an epic horror flick. It seems as though every injury and accident on this day gets attributed to the bad luck of the date. But what are the real Friday the 13th facts?
- One study claimed you can be 52% more likely to suffer an accident on Friday the 13th;
- The United State alone loses around $900 million in business on Friday the 13th because of consumers’ suspicions;
- Friday the 13th happens at least once a year and up to three times a year. This year there will be one in April and one in July; and
- In 2029 an asteroid will be visible from Earth on Friday, April 13th.
Though we cannot promise a safe Friday the 13th, we hope yours is accident and injury-free. For those brave enough to venture outside of their homes and offices on this notorious day, attorneys at the Aigen Law Firm are available if disaster strikes and injuries occur. If you, a family member, or a friend are in need of an experienced Miami Personal Injury attorney for an accident or injury, we are here to assist you. We understand that accidents and injuries happen, oftentimes in the most freakish and unforeseen ways. That is why a lawyer at the Aigen Law Firm is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week working relentlessly to protect your rights, answer all your questions, and fight to ensure that you maximize your recovery against all responsible parties.
Please do not hesitate to submit an online FREE CASE REVIEW. We offer a free consultation for your personal injury case and there is no fee unless we recover for you.