What Do I Do if the Other Driver Refuses to Exchange Information After a Crash?

Schedule Your Free Consultation

After a car crash, one of the first things you must do is get the other driver’s contact and insurance information. This is necessary for insurance claims, whether with your own company or through their liability policy.

Florida requires all involved parties to exchange names, addresses, registration numbers, and driver’s license numbers, giving all parties the means to address damages. But what happens if the other driver refuses to give you their information?

Learn what to do in this situation and how you may still be able to seek compensation with the help of our Florida car accident lawyers at Aigen Injury Law.

PIP Insurance in Florida

Florida is a no-fault state, meaning that your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance should cover you if you are involved in a car accident. Thankfully, you don’t need the other driver’s information to file for PIP benefits since it is your individual policy and applies regardless of who was at fault.

This insurance allows you to recover compensation for injuries and lost wages after a crash. You must carry at least $10,000 in PIP insurance to meet state requirements, but depending on your policy, you may have higher limits.

PIP pays 80% of your necessary and reasonable medical expenses up to $10,000. It also covers 60% of lost wages due to disability from injuries in car accidents. If you were involved in a minor car accident, PIP may be more than enough to cover your medical expenses. Unfortunately, all too often the damages after a crash exceed what PIP will cover.

What are Your Options if Damages Exceed Your No-Fault Insurance Coverages?

If the other driver leaves without giving you their contact and insurance information and the extent of your damages exceeds what PIP covers, you may still have other options for financial support. Our attorneys at Aigen Injury Law can help you explore your alternatives.

For instance, the other driver may have spoken with police at the scene, even if they refused to exchange information with you. We can obtain the police report to see if it includes the driver’s name, insurance, or other identifying information.

If they leave the scene without cooperating with authorities, it is considered a hit-and-run. In this situation, we can help you seek damages under your Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage.

This type of insurance pays if another driver doesn’t have coverage or flees the scene. Although it’s not required in Florida, insurers must offer it when choosing a policy and it is usually included unless the policyholder specifically refuses it. This means you may have UM coverage without realizing it. If you have it, we can help you file for compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering related to your injuries.

Tips for Interacting With Another Driver at the Scene of a Crash

While you can’t control another driver’s reaction after a collision, you can minimize confrontation and try to get their information. Consider these tips for exchanging the necessary names and policies immediately post-crash:

  • Keep Calm: Take a deep breath and check for injuries before leaving your vehicle. If you are hurt or in pain, call 911 and request an ambulance.
  • Approach Safely: Ensure the other driver and any other person involved in the accident are safe. Keep neutral language; don’t use anger or accusatory language or direct blame at them. However, don’t say you’re sorry or admit fault either.
  • Focus on Exchanging Information: Offer to sort the situation out as efficiently as possible by providing your details and politely requesting the other driver’s information.
  • Avoid Escalating: If the other driver is aggressive or refuses to provide details, don’t push the issue and stay at a safe distance. If possible, record your interactions with the other driver.
  • Call the Police: Regardless of how the other driver behaves, contact the police to report the accident. It’s the law, and police officers may be able to help you speak with the other driver and ensure a safe exchange of information. If you think they may try to leave without providing their information before the police arrive, note down their vehicle make, model, and license plate number to provide to the police.

Let Aigen Injury Law Represent You After a Car Crash

If you’ve been involved in an accident with a driver who refuses to provide their information, our experienced car accident lawyers at Aigen Injury Law can help. We can provide legal guidance and review all available compensation options to help you get the settlement you need to recover from your injuries. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.