Drunk driving is a serious threat to the health and safety of Florida drivers. In 2021, our state had 5,111 alcohol-related crashes, resulting in 407 fatalities and 421 incapacitating injuries. All motorists need to know how to spot an intoxicated driver on the road and what actions to take to report them.
If an accident happens, you can take steps to protect your rights. Our Miami car accident lawyers at Aigen Injury Law can provide legal guidance after a crash with an intoxicated driver to help you receive a settlement for your injuries.
Warning Signs of Drunk Driving
Those who get behind the wheel after drinking are breaking the law in Florida and putting everyone else at risk on the road. Keep an eye out for these signs that might suggest someone is driving under the influence:
- Swerving and weaving between lanes
- Accelerating or braking erratically
- Driving at inconsistent speeds
- Ignoring traffic signals or reacting to them late
- Making illegal turns
- Stopping without cause in traffic lanes
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Following other vehicles too closely
- Driving at night with headlights off
- Driving with windows down during inappropriate weather
What to Do if You Spot a Drunk Driver
If you’re on the road and suspect someone is driving under the influence, it’s essential to maintain safety and report your suspicions. Here’s what to do if you encounter a drunk driver:
- Keep your distance. Stay far behind the suspected vehicle to avoid being close to unpredictable and potentially harmful maneuvers. Don’t follow the car either; this could result in a collision or confrontation with the driver.
- Don’t try to pass. Overtaking a vehicle with a drunk driver at the wheel can be risky; they may swerve or shift lanes without warning, which could lead to a serious accident.
- Don’t confront them. Attempts to alert or correct the driver’s behavior, like honking or flashing lights, could distract or agitate them, leading to more erratic driving.
- Note details. If it’s possible without compromising your safety, try to note specific details like the vehicle’s license plate number, color, make, model, and any distinguishing features. These can be crucial for law enforcement.
- Call for help. Pull over and call the authorities once you’re at a safe distance and at an appropriate place to do so. Provide dispatch with all the details you’ve gathered, the direction of travel, and the specific behaviors you observed that led you to believe the driver was impaired.
What Happens if You’re Injured in a Crash with a Drunk Driver?
If the worst happens and you’re struck by a drunk driver, take steps to protect your well-being and legal rights. Here’s what you should do immediately post-accident:
- Stay calm. Remaining composed can help you assess the situation and the condition of yourself and others. If injured, try not to move until emergency services arrive, as you could worsen your injuries.
- Call 911. Inform the authorities about the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with details about the crash location, the involvement of a drunk driver, and any immediate health concerns.
- Document everything. If your condition allows, gather evidence by taking photos of the scene, the vehicles, and any visible injuries. Write down your account of the event while it’s fresh in your mind; these notes can be invaluable for legal proceedings.
- Get witness information. Collect contact details from anyone who witnessed the accident. Their testimony could support your version of events in a legal context.
- Seek medical attention. Visit a healthcare provider for a thorough examination, as some injuries may not be immediately apparent. This step is also vital for documenting your injuries, which can affect the outcome of any insurance or legal claims.
- Speak with an attorney. After addressing any immediate health concerns, contact a Miami drunk driving crash injury lawyer. Aigen Injury Law can provide representation, guide you through the legal process, and assist in seeking the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Protect Your Rights with Aigen Injury Law
In the aftermath of a crash with a drunk driver, safeguarding your rights is as essential as your recovery. Our dedicated team at Aigen Injury Law is ready to support and guide you through the legal process to help you receive the compensation you’re entitled to.
Contact us today for a free consultation where we can review your case details and help you determine your next legal steps.