When you’re injured after slipping and falling at a loved one’s house, the last thing you want to do is cause a rift over the medical bills. It’s a tough spot to be in, putting you in a position where you feel like you have to choose between getting help to pay for your injuries or causing financial damage to your family member.
Our Florida slip and fall lawyers at Aigen Injury Law understand the complexities of family dynamics that often come into play in these cases. We can help you explore ways to receive compensation for your medical bills and lost time from work without harming your relationship with your loved one.
Common In-Home Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can happen when you least expect it, including when visiting family members for the holidays or other celebrations. Here are a few common slip and fall causes in residential homes:
- Wet floors. Slip and fall accidents often occur in family homes due to spills or freshly cleaned floors that aren’t immediately obvious. This includes wet areas in bathrooms and kitchens, and entryways that become slippery during inclement weather.
- Loose rugs and carpets. In many family homes, throw rugs and carpets with curled edges or loose corners are typical trip hazards. These can be easily overlooked and result in an unexpected and painful fall.
- Cluttered pathways. In a bustling family home, it’s common for personal items, toys, and decorations to accumulate, forming obstacles that are easy to trip over.
- Unsecured electrical cords. Especially in older homes with limited outlets, cords stretched across walkways or lying underfoot can pose a significant risk for falls.
- Poor lighting. Poorly lit stairs and hallways can hide trip hazards, making safe navigation challenging. This is also true for exterior walkways or stairs leading to a home or apartment.
Options for Compensation After a Slip and Fall at a Family Member’s Home
The hesitation to take legal action against a family member or friend after a slip and fall is completely understandable. Concerns about straining relationships are valid, as these personal connections are often considered more precious than any monetary compensation.
Consider these compensation options to help you avoid a contentious lawsuit:
- Personal arrangement for compensation. You may come to a personal agreement with the family member for compensation. This could include covering medical expenses, lost wages, or other related costs due to the injury.
- Medical payments insurance coverage. This type of insurance coverage is a feature of many home insurance policies and can be used regardless of who is at fault. It can cover medical bills up to a family member’s policy limit, helping you avoid the need for legal action.
- Assistance with chores and daily activities. If the injury prevents you from performing regular duties, your family member can offer to help with household chores, childcare, or errands while you recover.
- Structured settlement or loan. Sometimes, family members may agree to a structured settlement, where they make payments over time. They may also consider providing a personal loan to cover your immediate expenses.
Why Filing with Homeowners’ Insurance is the Best Option
If you’re looking at getting compensated for a slip and fall at a family member’s house, making a claim on their homeowners’ insurance is usually the best approach. This way, you can get a settlement for your injuries without directly affecting their financial situation.
Rather than having your family member pay from their own pocket, their insurance policy can cover your damages under its bodily injury liability coverage, usually up to about $100,000. This is a practical way to maintain family harmony while ensuring your expenses are handled.
At Aigen Injury Law, we streamline the claims process for slip and fall accidents, making it straightforward and hassle-free. We can help you negotiate with the insurance company for fair compensation, ensuring minimal disruption to your daily life and family relationships.
Get Skilled Legal Help After a Slip and Fall
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall at a relative’s home and are unsure how to proceed, speak with our legal team today. Our attorneys know how to handle slip and fall injury cases, and can assist you in filing a thoroughly documented claim to secure a fair settlement for your injuries.
Contact us today for a consultation, and let’s discuss how we can help you move forward without compromising family ties.